Creamy, filling, satisfying, goodness *^_^*
Mungbeans Coconut Cream with red oil & fried croutons
Serves: 4 portions
- ½ tablespoon of oil (I used avocado)
- 4 malaguette leaves
- 1 tablespoon of grated ginger
- 2 French shallots, sliced full rings
- 4 fresh garlic cloves, sliced length wise
- 1 cup of dried green mung beans
- 1 eddo, peeled & cubed
- 2 carrots, chopped in half moons
- ½ of a big chayote, cubed
- ¼ loosely packed cup of chopped Italian parsley
- 2 cups of beef bone stock (bones, water, onion)
- 2 cups of canned coconut milk
- - Using a fine mesh colander, throughly rince the mung beans and discard anything that shouldn't be in there. Boil the mung beans in a pot full of water for 30 minutes. Drain and reserve.
- - Medium/High heat. Place a big deep frying pan on the stove top. Once it's hot enough, add the ½ tablespoon of oil, onion, garlic, malaguette leaves and grated ginger. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- - Add the rest of the veggies, the chopped parsley and 2 cups of beef bone stock. Lower the heat cover the pan and gently simmer for 20 minutes or until the liquid is full absorbed.
- - Lower the heat again, this time, on the lowest setting. Add the two cups of coconut milk, mix and cover again to cook for 40 minutes.
Red oil & Fried Croutons
- For the oil:
- ½ teaspoon of paprika
- ¼ teaspoon of crushed chillies
- ⅛ teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- 2 tablespoons of avocado oil
- For the croutons:
- days old bread (I used baguette)
- red oil
- - Prepare your oil in advance by mixing all the ingredients together and let it sit for a few hours or days.
- - When it's almost time to serve... slice the bread in small cubes and grill them in a small fry pan using the red oil. Serve on top of the mung beans coconut cream.